Connect with us

Nigeria In One Minute

8000 Boko Haram members voluntarily surrender – Military

Published

on

The Nigerian Military on Tuesday in Abuja said that no fewer than 8000 Boko Haram members had voluntarily surrendered to its “Operation Safe Corridor’’ in the North-East.

The Director of Defence Information, Brig.-Gen. Rabe Abubakar, disclosed this at a lecture organised by the FCT Correspondents’ Chapel of the National Union of Journalists (NUJ).

The lecture with the theme, “Media-Military Relationship in the Fight against Insurgency’’, was part of the activities marking the 2016 Press Week of the chapel. Abubakar said that the surrendered insurgents were in a camp in Gombe waiting to be “deradicalised’’ by the military.

The general also disclosed that more than 10,000 Boko Haram captives had been rescued by the military. He said some of them were reunited with their families, while others were taken to Internally Displaced Person’s (IDP) camps.

August 16, Vanguard

Join the conversation

Opinions

Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism

Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.

As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.

If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.

Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.

Donate Now

Investigations