The efforts to have Senator Dino Melaye recalled from the Senate appear to be taking a different turn.
About eighteen constituents in Kogi West senatorial district have denied being part of the process.
They alleged that their signatures were forged and that they have sued those who were involved and therefore called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to halt any further action pending the court’s adjudication.
The constituents, under the auspices of Concern Kogi Registered Voters, who disclosed this during a press briefing in Abuja on Friday said that they decided to talk on the issue going by a press release by INEC that it had commenced the recall process of Senator Melaye.
“This press conference became more important in view of the press release credited to INEC that it has received signatures above 188, 000 registered voters in Kogi West,” the constituents said.
The group had earlier last week filed an ex parte motion before a Federal High Court in Abuja. They are seeking among others, an order of court directing all parties to maintain status quo ante in respect of the recall process of Melaye until the final determination of the substantive suit.
Read also: Buhari recovering, but return still indefinite –Oyegun
They also accused Kogi State government of being behind the plot to recall the senator, stating, that “there is possible connivance between the people on the recall agenda and INEC, an act contrary to the Electoral Act”, and prayed the court to note that “at no point was signature taking process conducted by anybody in Kogi West.
“INEC, being a constitutionally constituted organ of government should halt any further action pending the court’s adjudication.
“The people of Kogi West have sued those involved to court for forgery of their signatures in a desperate attempt to recall Senator Dino Melaye,” they said.
RipplesNigeria ….without borders, without fears