Semi-final debutants Manchester City will take on ten-time champions Real Madrid while Atlético Madrid play Bayern München in a repeat of the 1974 final following the Nyon draw today.
The contrast will be stark as semi-final debutants Manchester City take on the UEFA Champions League’s most successful club, Real Madrid, while Atlético Madrid play Bayern München in a tie that will stir special memories for the German club.
UEFA Champions League semi-final draw
1 Manchester City (ENG) v Real Madrid (ESP) – 26 April/4 May
2 Atlético Madrid (ESP) v Bayern München (GER) – 27 April/3 May
Manchester City v Real Madrid
• Real Madrid scored two late goals to beat Manchester City on matchday one in 2012/13, Karim Benzema and Cristiano Ronaldo earning a 3-2 victory.
• The game in Manchester finished 1-1, Sergio Agüero’s 73rd-minute penalty cancelling out Karim Benzema’s tenth-minute opener.
• City have already beaten Spanish opposition this season, defeating Sevilla 2-1 (home) and 3-1 (away) in the group stage.
• That win in Seville was City’s second in Spain, where their record is W2 D1 L6.
• Real Madrid are unbeaten in their last eight games against English clubs, and have won their last three such matches.
• Madrid’s record at home to English clubs is W7 D5 L2.
• City are in their first European Cup semi-final, Madrid their 27th. Their record is W13 L13.
Atlético v Bayern
• Atlético and Bayern have met only twice – both in the 1974 European Cup final. The Spanish side were seconds away from taking the trophy before Georg Schwarzenbeck’s 120th-minute equaliser gave Bayern a 1-1 draw; two days later, the German club won the replay 4-0 to take the trophy for the first time.
• Atlético are unbeaten in their last five home matches against German clubs (W4 D1) going back to a 1-0 defeat by Borussia Dortmund in the 1996/97 group stage.
• Atlético have lost just one of their last seven games against German clubs.
• Bayern have the first lost in Spain in the semi-finals in each of the last two seasons, going down 1-0 at Real Madrid in 2013/14 (0-5 aggregate) and 3-0 at Barcelona last year (3-5 aggregate).
• The German club have won only two of their last 12 trips to Spain, losing eight.
• Atlético’s European Cup semi-final record is W2 L2; Bayern’s is W10 L7.
RipplesNigeria …without borders, without fears
Join the conversation
INVESTIGATION… Ten years after, communities count losses as AfDB, Cross River govt abandon road project
Ten years after the Cross River State government and African Development Bank (AFDB) jointly awarded the Yahe-Wanokom-Wanikade-Benue border road for...
INVESTIGATION….N.3bn down the drain: Why water projects for Enugu communities don’t work
In this concluding part, ARINZE CHIJIOKE talks about some of the projects that are serving the people and how various WASH programmes have failed to tackle...
INVESTIGATION…PARKVIEW ESTATE: Exclusive images of how billionaire property developer incurred Lagos govt‘s anger
Many have seen the demolished building, but not many know the circumstances that led to the teardown of the about...
INVESTIGATION… N.3bn down the drain, as Enugu communities suffer from dry taps
In November 2020, three organizations and the Enugu State government celebrated the completion of N300 million worth of projects that were expected...
INVESTIGATION… How herdsmen crisis compounds woes of already deprived Ogun communities
Earlier in January, the Nigerian media space was awash with reports of violence between herders and farmers across the country....