An unverified video allegedly showing personnel of the Nigerian Army subjecting pro-Biafra supporters to abuse has emerged, prompting widespread condemnation and calls for investigation.
Reacting to the emergence of the video which has now gone viral on a news programme on Channels Television, Col SK Usman, Acting Director, Nigerian Army Public Relations, confirmed the army’s knowledge of the video’s existence.
Usman stated that the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 82 Division, Maj Gen Adamu Abubakar, in whose operational sphere the alleged abuse took place, has been mandated to undertake an investigation into the matter after which the army will make its findings public.
Read also: KANU: IPOB may adopt violent struggle
This development is coming on the heels of the recent launch of the second phase of the army’s Operation Python Dance in the South East region of the country.
It also follows the consequent ‘show of force’ around the residence of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) in Abia State, igniting clashes between members of IPOB and personnel of the Nigerian Army, while drawing widespread criticism and calls for caution and conciliation from stakeholders and observers.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army in a statement Wednesday night by Colonel Sagir Musa, Deputy Director, Army Public relations, 82 division, hinted that its leadership had embarked on a sensitization tour to acquaint local communities of the impending military exercise code named, ‘Operation Python Dance’.
He said, “The GOC…visited Aba, and Isialangwa in Abia State to interface with stakeholders on Wednesday.
“The GOC who was accompanied by the Commander 14 Brigade, Brigadier General AK Ibrahim first paid a courtesy call on the office of the Commissioner of Police Abia State Mr. O Oyebade.
“Together, they went around Aba town along with Abia State Deputy Governor, Mr. Ude Oko Chukwu.
“During the visit they interacted with members of various communities and their leaders and enjoined them to live in peace.
The command said it had equally unveiled cell phone numbers of its various departments for residents of the affected states to make their complaints or contributions towards aiding the army in making the region peaceful.
The army gave the following numbers for people to call:
1. Nigerian Army Information and Call Centre Telephone Number 193 (Toll Free All lines).
2. Human Right Desk Number 08160134303. Sector 1 (Abia State) Commander – 08023445961/07065013133.
3. Sector 6 (Cross River State) Commander – 08033865572.
4. Sector 4 (Anambra State) Commander – 07037055354.
5. Sector 5 (Ebonyi State) Commander – 07039833547/08180605871.
RipplesNigeria… without borders, without fears
Latest posts by Chidi Chinedu (see all)
- Why Shittu, Dalung and especially Onochie must be Ministers in Buhari’s Next Level cabinet - April 16, 2019
- Dear Buharists and Atikulators: 5 ways to cope with the looming election heartbreak - February 21, 2019
- The Good, the Bad and Obasanjo: What next for the ‘Owners of Nigeria Plc’? - January 24, 2019