A group of South African artistes under the aegis of Tshwane Collective are kicking against the inclusion of Nigerian Afropop star, Burna Boy, in two concerts slated for November 23 and 24.
The artistes who have gone ahead to table a petition before the minister of arts and culture, questioned the exclusion of local artists and Burna Boy’s invitation to perform at the concerts.
The group which frowned at the inclusion of Burna Boy accused the musician of inciting hatred against South Africa in the wake of the xenophobic attacks.
“Whoever may have deemed that the country needs a PR exercise of this nature would have done so largely as a result of the callous, misleading and unwarranted incitement by this very artist. Not only did he spread falsehoods through his extensive platform, he literally incited violence and hate. He further promised to inflict his own violence on locals before giving your government an ultimatum which you seem to have received and succumbed to,” the group said in the letter to Nathi Mthethwa, minister of art and culture.
In a related development, the department of culture has however distanced itself from the concert and said that its logo had been used “erroneously” on posters advertising the event.
“The Department of Sports, Arts and Culture wishes to dispel the untrue information currently being spread on social media, that it is funding the Africans Unite Concert featuring the artist known as Burna Boy. It is unfortunate that the department’s logo was erroneously used on the poster advertising the event,” arts and culture spokesperson Asanda Magaqa told TshisaLIVE.