Zambian Health Minister, Chitalu Chilufya, has confirmed the country’s first death case to Coronavirus on Thursday as number of infected persons increased to 39.
The victim was said to have returned from a trip to South Africa where he made contacts with people who had travelled to high-risk countries despite suffering a chronic respiratory condition.
Read also: COVID-19: Russia declares state of emergency
Chilufya further confirmed that three new registered cases of the virus were from people who had abroad travel records.
Like many other African countries, Zambia currently suffers from heavy debts incurred prior to the virus outbreak and are among countries in the continent seeking debt relief and support from the IMF, World Bank and EU.
- COVID-19: Sokoto govt says state has discharged 101 patients, records 14 deaths so far - June 7, 2020
- BUSINESS ROUNDUP: Oil marketers to fix pump price; Nigeria records 42% job loss; See other stories that made our pick - June 7, 2020
- R*APE: Monarch urges Nigerian govt to legalise stun gun, pepper spray for women - June 7, 2020