Several millions worth of goods were lost in Benin-City on Monday when fire razed no fewer than 15 shops located along Lagos Street, opposite the Oba Market, Benin-City, Edo State.
It was gathered that the inferno started from one of the shops as a result of a suspected high voltage.
One of the victims, Mrs. Tawa Shittu lamented that goods owned by her two daughters-in-law were burnt in the inferno.
“They called me in the midnight that there was fire here but I couldn’t come here till 5am this morning and we met everything burnt to ashes. We were told the fire started from the back of the building.
“I have been selling here for a very long time but recently, they said they needed to renovate the place, I just came to re-open my shop about a month ago.”
Another trader, Risi said she could not salvage anything from her shop.
“We have a chemical seller whose warehouse is also here, there is a rubber shop, wheelbarrow shop and fairly used zincs then there is baby care shop worth millions of naira goods, two shops trade on cooked food, soft drinks, two deep freezers, and assorted drinks, all got burnt.
“The other shop has two deep freezers, one standing giant fridges, pepper soup spices, micro-wave, take-away packs and the money the owner just collected to take to the market including the yearly contribution which she just collected. She could not recover anything. The other one is baby shop running into millions of naira; nothing could be recovered including the generator.”
Edo State police was yet to comment on the development as at press time.
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- Buhari writes Senate, seeks approval to pay Kogi govt N10.069bn - October 15, 2019
- More difficulties await Nigerians as Customs bans importation of goods via land border - October 15, 2019
- ICYMI: Rumours of unease in Aso Rock confirmed; Mamman Daura’s daughter reveals messy details about their feud with Aisha Buhari - October 15, 2019