Valentine’s Day is a fantastic opportunity to cherish your loved one and think about the ways to make your relationship stronger and happier.
Before both of you will indulge in your favourite wine and sink your teeth into delicious heart-shaped desserts, make sure you make these 7 Valentine’s Day resolutions:
1. Focus on your union: No comparing. No complaining. No gossiping. When you discuss important issues, focus on your union only. It does not matter what happened in your friend’s relationship or how other couples solve their problems. The two of you are in charge of your happiness. Instead of spending 2 hours discussing someone else’s love, plan some romantic activities or simply enjoy each other’s company in silence.
2. Never speak when you feel angry: If one of you feels angry, it is best to take a little break. It is always easier to change your actions, but it is impossible to change the words you utter. Words have a strong power. They can either hurt you or make you happy. Making a never-speak-when-you-feel-angry resolution will prevent tons of pointless fights, thus strengthening your union.
3. Take turns planning dates and activities: Who said men should always take the initiative? Who said women have brilliant imagination and ability to come up with fun activities for two? Nobody. Both of you can create a romantic picnic or dinner, so take turn planning your activities.
4. Learn the art of fighting: All couples fight. However, it is the way they fight that determines if their relationship will be long-lasting. Mastering the art of fighting is a challenge that you and your partner have to take for the sake of your love. Respect, understanding, and compromise are the keys of healthy fighting.
5. Forgive each other: There is no better time than Valentine’s Day to forgive each other and make a new resolution that will bring peace and joy into your relationship. You do not want to spend too much time dwelling on your partner’s mistakes, and your partner does not want the entire world to know how cruel you can be when you are angry. If you have been together for years, you already know each other’s flaws so skip them. Smile and laugh rather than frown and grieve.
6. Keep positive people around you: If someone is trying to ruin your relationship, drop them immediately. Be it your sister or your partner’s brother, if they breed strife, get them out of your life and you will see how happier you and your significant other will become.
7. Spend more quality time together: No smart phones. No laptops. Only you and your beloved one. Couples spend too much time in front of the screens. Spending quality time together means focusing on each other. Think of those times when people had no idea what television or internet was. They talked about love. They wrote love poems and love letters. They looked at each other’s eyes.
RipplesNigeria …without borders, without fears
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.
As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.
If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
ICYMI…SPECIAL REPORT: NNPCL hides behind PIA to frustrate disclosure, accountability
Nigeria’s major oil company, Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation Limited (NNPCL), in what appears to be a common practice of disregard...
INVESTIGATION: Multi-million naira Ekiti resort center remains uncompleted a decade after
The multimillion-naira project, expected to comprise recreational buildings, now consists of cassava farmland, a bush used for excretion, and a...
SPECIAL REPORT: Torturous experiences of students with disabilities in Oyo tertiary institutions
For students with disabilities in Oyo state-owned tertiary institutions, learning is a torturous and distressing experience, considering the building structures...
INVESTIGATION: Uncompleted Old Enugu-Onitsha Road brings untold hardship, tears to commuters, residents of Enugu communities
Ugwu Obinna’s younger sister was killed after a truck driver transporting cows rammed into her shop located at the Okpatu...
INVESTIGATION: Students sit on floors, under leaking roofs as multi-million naira project is nowhere to be found in Zamfara
Suleman Tukur, 15, an SS 2 student of Government Day Secondary School (GDSS) Bakura in Bakura local government area of...