Connect with us

Politics

ASO ROCK CLINIC: Don’t make me a ‘scapegoat’ as usual, only Buhari has questions to answer –Jonathan

Published

on

Conceding defeat without a fight was to set a standard for Nigeria’s democracy – Jonathan

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has frowned at reports in the media that the planned probe of budgetary allocations to the Aso Rock clinic by a committee of the House of Representatives included his administration, stating that he had no questions to answer on the issue as he was not responsible for implementing the 2015 budget.

Jonathan said the repeated mention of his name was the usual practice of making him a “scapegoat for the misdeeds of others”.

Recall that following revelations by Aisha Buhari, wife of President Muhammadu Buhari, that the Aso Rock clinic was shockingly lacking in basic consumables like cotton wool and syringe despite billions allocated to it, the House of Representatives had instituted a probe which it said would cover budgetary allocations to the clinic including allocations in the 2015 budget.

Read also: Amid controversy of Buhari’s northern bias, FG lists Abia, Oyo, 16 others to benefit from World Bank project

Responding to the development, Jonathan claimed in a statement signed by his media aide, Ikechukwu Eze, in Abuja on Saturday that he was not responsible for implementation of any of the budgets under consideration as he had handed power over to Buhari.

The statement read in part: “The House of representatives resolved Thursday 12 October, 2015, to probe 2015-2017 allocations to Aso Rock Clinic and some media reports are needlessly dragging the name of former President Goodluck Jonathan into it.

“We had thought that the media should be the first to remind Nigerians that since Jonathan left office on May 29, 2015, he had absolutely nothing to do with the implementation of the budget for that year.

“For emphasis, the 2015 Appropriation Bill which was passed by the parliament in April was signed into law in May, 2015.

“And since the procurement process, based on the new procurement law, takes at least three months to complete, there was no way Jonathan would have had anything to do with the budget implementation for 2015, before vacating Aso Rock Villa on May 29, 2015″.

Eze added that with the way people made damaging insinuations regarding Jonathan on contentious developments in the polity, it would appear as if Jonathan had been in office since independence and probably still in power.

“We expect media houses to always do proper investigations to avoid the convenient choice of always using Jonathan as the scapegoat for the misdeeds of others”, he said.

 

RipplesNigeria… without borders, without fears

Click here to join the Ripples Nigeria WhatsApp group for latest updates.

Join the conversation

Opinions

Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism

Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.

If you are motivated and passionate about building a global society, founded on justice, equity, fairness, transparency, accountability and superior knowledge, kindly consider donating to Ripples Nigeria’s solutions journalism.

Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.

Donate Now

Click to comment

0 Comments

  1. JOHNSON PETER

    October 15, 2017 at 12:49 pm

    Na wa o, out of all serious corruption cases and charges, it’s aso rock clinic matter they want to robe Jonathan, this government is irrational

    • yanju omotodun

      October 15, 2017 at 8:32 pm

      So aso Rock clinic is not a serious matter to you? Corruption is corruption just ole (thief) is ole to Jonathan.

  2. seyi jelili

    October 16, 2017 at 5:45 am

    Husband and wife are thieves

  3. Anita Kingsley

    October 16, 2017 at 6:27 am

    Jonathan is already aware of what Buhari’s government is capable of doing. If anyone should blame Jonathan for what’s going on in Aso Villa, the person has no conscience.

    • Animashaun Ayodeji

      October 16, 2017 at 6:37 am

      It will even be silly of Buhari to fault the incompetence of the management of the clinic on Jonathan. Jonathan didn’t have any of this complain and his health was good throughout his government, which means the clinic took very good care of him and his family

  4. Abeni Adebisi

    October 16, 2017 at 6:46 am

    Aso Rock clinic’s problems didn’t start in this administration, it’s been there before Buhari came into power, if any probe is going to be conducted, it should be traced back to Jonathan’s administration

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4 × 1 =

Investigations