The Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF), a regional military force fighting the Boko Haram, have denied knowledge of the reported pull out of Chadian forces.
According to the MNJTF, the forces of the four countries making the regional force are still on ground.
The regional military force was reacting to reports that the Chadian Government has ordered the withdrawal of its troops from the MNJTF, vowing that no Chadian soldier will fight out of Chad again.
Responding to enquiries on the development, the MNJTF Chief of Public Information, Col Timothy Antigha, said: “We in the MNJTF are not aware of that information. As I speak to you now, we are not aware of that. I am in Chad and in Ndjamena. So if I’m in the country, that means that the subsisting cooperation is ongoing.
“I don’t know the source of that information. We are not privy to any such information.”
The Chadian President, President Idriss Deby, had reportedly hinted at this withdrawal of his country’s troops on Thursday when he was quoted to have said on national television that Chadian troops would no longer participate in military operations outside the country’s borders against armed groups active in the Lake Chad region and the Sahel.
“Our troops have died for Lake Chad and the Sahel. From today, no Chadian soldiers will take part in a military mission outside Chad.
“Chad is alone in shouldering all the burden of the war against Boko Haram,” Deby said.
In a similar vein, the Chad Amy spokesman, Colonel Azem Agouna, made reference to a possible withdrawal, adding that 52 troops died during the country’s full scale operation against the Boko Haram, which began since March 31.
Agouna said: “A thousand terrorists have been killed and 50 motorised canoes have been destroyed.”
He further noted that the operation, which was launched after nearly 100 soldiers were killed in a Boko Haram attack last month, ended on Wednesday after the armed fighters were forced out of the country.
Join the conversation
SPECIAL REPORT: Displaced residents of Zamfara battle hunger, as underfunding derails Nigeria’s nutrition goals
On paper, Muhammad Zayyanu is seven years old. The quiet boy who looks shorter for his age could not recollect...
INVESTIGATION: N7.3bn paid for unnamed projects; how Nigerian govt spent N2.2trn in six months
Analysing nearly 3,000 payments made by various Federal Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) over the previous six months (January...
INVESTIGATION… Delay rocks Nigerian govt’s promise of N30,000 covid-19 relief for artisans, others
Before the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic in February, 2020, Chukwudi Okoroigwe’s daily earnings as a bus driver was hardly enough to cater to the...
INVESTIGATION… Ten years after, communities count losses as AfDB, Cross River govt abandon road project
Ten years after the Cross River State government and African Development Bank (AFDB) jointly awarded the Yahe-Wanokom-Wanikade-Benue border road for...
INVESTIGATION….N.3bn down the drain: Why water projects for Enugu communities don’t work
In this concluding part, ARINZE CHIJIOKE talks about some of the projects that are serving the people and how various WASH programmes have failed to tackle...