Oil & Gas: SEPLAT grabs 40% stake in OML 53
SEPLAT Petroleum Development Company Plc (“SEPLAT” or the “Company”), has today notified The Nigerian Stock Exchange and London Stock Exchange, that it has completed the acquisition of a 40.00% working interest in OML 53, onshore north eastern Niger Delta from Chevron Nigeria Limited (“CNL”). NNPC holds the remaining 60.00% interest in OML 53.
The up-front acquisition cost to SEPLAT, after adjustments, is US$254.6 million, of which US$69.0 million had previously been paid as a deposit in 2013 and US$185.6 million paid at completion. The adjustments to the up-front acquisition cost include a deferred payment of US$18.75 million contingent on oil prices averaging US$90/bbl or above for 12 consecutive months over the next five years. The Company estimates net recoverable hydrocarbon volumes attributable to its 40.00% working interest to be approximately 51 MMbbls of oil and condensate and 611 Bscf of gas (total 151 MMboe). SEPLAT has been designated as Operator of OML 53 pursuant to the Joint Operating Model approved by the Honourable Nigerian Minister of Petroleum Resources.
OML 53 covers an area of approximately 1,585km2 and is located onshore in the north eastern Niger Delta.
The Jisike oil field, located in the north western area of the block, is currently the only producing field on OML 53. Current gross production from Jisike is approximately 2,000 bopd (approximately 800 bopd on a 40.00% working interest basis). Existing infrastructure on OML 53 at Jisike comprises flow-lines, phase one separation facilities and a flow station with a design capacity of 12,000 bopd and 8 MMscfd. Oil production is then sent for further processing at the nearby Izombe facilities on OML 124 from where it is then exported via pipeline to the Brass oil terminal. The block also contains the large undeveloped Ohaji South gas and condensate field, the development of which will be coordinated with the SPDC operated Assa North field on adjacent OML 21, together referred to as the ANOS project. The expectation is that future gas production from the ANOS project will supply the domestic market, for which significant work on commercialization terms and development concepts has been undertaken, and that produced condensate will be available for sale into the global market.
There is also shallow oil development potential at Ohaji South that could be pursued as a separate, standalone project in the near term. Prior to initiating development of the ANOS project, SEPLAT expects to focus efforts on increasing oil production at the Jisike field and development of the shallow oil reservoirs in Ohaji South.
Proshare, February 06, 2015
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.
As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.
If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
INVESTIGATION: 4 yrs after completion, Kwara PHC facility inactive, rural dwellers in pains
In the middle of the night sometime in September 2019, Fatimah Ballah struggled with severe pains as she tries to...
INVESTIGATION: How Oyo State, contractors spent N1.1bn on water projects, but communities don’t have a drop
Multimillion naira water projects largely initiated by the late Abiola Ajimobi-led state government in Oyo State to benefit over 40...
INVESTIGATION: In Cross River, civil servants retire into poverty as govt looks away, squanders funds on frivolities
Thousands of civil servants in Cross River State struggle to stay alive as they are denied their gratuities and monthly...
Students suffer as contractors abandon Kano school projects after receiving over N70m
In 2019, to improve the condition of public schools in Kano State, the Federal Government disbursed millions of naira to...
SPECIAL REPORT: World Bank road projects go bad in Enugu, as state govt fails to fulfill promise
Counterpart funded road projects between the world Bank and Enugu State government have started to fail, as the state government...