Natural, unsalted almonds are a tasty and nutritious snack with plenty of health benefits. Loaded with minerals, they are also among the healthiest of tree nuts.
Just a handful of nutrient-rich almonds a day helps promote heart health and prevent weight gain, and it may even help fight diseases like diabetes and Alzheimer’s.
Eating about 23 almonds a day is an easy way to incorporate many crucial nutrients into your diet. Almonds are rich in vitamin E, calcium, magnesium and potassium. Additionally, almonds are a significant source of protein and fiber, while being naturally low in sugar.
1. Reduce Heart Attack Risk: A study showed those who consumed nuts five times a week had a 50% reduction in risk of heart attack according to the Loma Linda School of Public Health.
2. Lowers ‘Bad’ Cholesterol: One clinical study showed that almonds added to the diet had a favorable effect on blood cholesterol levels and that none of the study groups experienced weight gain in the study by Dr. Gene Spiller, Director of the Health Research and Studies Center, Inc.
3. Protects Artery Walls From Damage: It was found that the flavonoids in almond skins work in synergy with the vitamin E thus reducing the risk of heart disease. (Research at Tufts University)
4. Build Strong Bones And Teeth: Almonds are loaded with phosphorus
5. Helps In Weight Loss: Although nuts contain lots of fat frequent nut eaters are thinner on average than those who almost never consume nuts. Those who ate nuts at least two times per week were 31% less likely to gain weight than were those who never or seldom at them in a study involving 8865 adults. (WHFood’s article on almonds).
6. Good For Brain Function: Almonds contain riboflavin and L-carnitine, nutrients that boost brain activity which may also reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease. A nutrient for the nervous system according to Ayurveda; they help to increase high intellectual level and longevity.
7. They Alkalize The Body: Almonds are the only nut and one of the few proteins that are alkaline forming. When your body is not alkaline enough, you risk osteoporosis, poor immune function, low energy and weight gain.
RipplesNigeria …without borders, without fears