Google has blocked Huawei from future updates to its Android mobile device operating system (OS), and chipmakers including Broadcom, Intel and Qualcomm are likely to follow suit, Computer Weekly reports.
The move by Google which follows an executive order signed by President Trump, now risks huge parts of Huawei’s business, and it is threatening to throw the global technology supply chain into turmoil.
In coming to the decision to end its relationship with Huawei, Google said it was both “complying with the order and reviewing the implications”.
A Huawei spokesperson said: “Huawei has made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world. As one of Android’s key global partners, we have worked closely with its open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefited both users and the industry.
“Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products covering those have been sold or still in stock globally. We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally.”
Last week, Trump declared a national emergency to protect American IT networks from what he termed foreign adversaries, “actively and increasingly creating and exploiting vulnerabilities in information and communications technology infrastructure and services”.
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- Senate President Lawan says presidency should return to S’West in 2023 - June 16, 2019
- Drought forces Namibia to auction 1,000 wild animals - June 16, 2019
- Oyo, Ondo, Ogun top list of 10 growing states in industrial performance - June 16, 2019