Security officials charged with restoring normalcy at the Hotel Ambassador which was attacked by al-Shabab militants say they have brought to an end a bomb and gun attack at the hotel by the militants.
Moments after the attack which saw the killing of 16 people including two lawmakers and the wounding of 55 others, al-Shabab quickly claimed responsibility for the siege at the hotel situated in central Mogadishu.
“So far we have confirmed 16 people, mostly civilians, died and 55 others were injured,” Major Nur Mohamed, a police officer, told Reuters on Thursday.
Another police officer, Major Farah Ali, told Reuters the hotel was now secure after the entire building was cleared of militants.
“National security forces are in every floor, the last fighter on the top roof (was) shot,” Ali said.
A Reuters witness saw the last fighter shot dead, his body falling to the ground from the building’s fifth floor. Eight dead people lay in front of the hotel.
RipplesNigeria …without borders, without fears
- EDO GUBER: Ize-Iyamu denies quitting race - June 3, 2020
- OOU submits COVID-19 herbal syrup to NAFDAC for approval - June 3, 2020
- PDP TO BUHARI’S GOVT: Stop fleecing Nigerians, reduce fuel price to N70 per litre - June 3, 2020