The Minister of Power, Engr. Saleh Mamman, said Tuesday the suspension for three months of implementation of the proposed electricity tariff in the country was in line with President Muhammadu Buhari’s decision to support Nigerians in this difficult time when COVID-19 has disrupted the nation’s economy.
Mamman, who stated this in a statement in Abuja, noted that the decision was one of several critical actions that the administration is taking to ensure citizens have the regular power supply in this difficult time.
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, (NERC) had earlier on Tuesday announced the suspension of the electricity tariff hike till June 30.
The minister said: “The three-month delay in the implementation of tariff measures is consistent with His Excellency the President’s announcement on March 29th granting a moratorium for certain Federal Government funded facilities to the Nigerian Public. ”
“I will also commend players in the Nigeria Electricity Supply Industry (NESI) that have made commitments to ensuring a stable power supply in this period.
“We must work together. I must specifically commend the Distribution Companies that have a direct interface with the citizens. Many of the Distribution Companies have announced that they will take measures to maintain the power supply to citizens in this difficult time.
“I would like to implore that the DISCOs uphold these commitments.”
According to him, players in the industry are working with the Central Bank of Nigeria to ensure payments to the generators and gas suppliers.
He said that the payment to be done through the Payment Assurance Facility would be expedited to support power supply.