These 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers will interest you this Saturday morning.
1. PDP TO BUHARI: As you probe Obono-Obla for certificate forgery, listen to your conscience and confess about your own
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to prove the sincerity of his anti-graft war by allowing a system-wide probe into the activities of his administration in the last four years. PDP was reacting to the news of the corruption allegation against the now suspended Chairman of the Special Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property, Okoi Obono-Obla, and the alleged financial misappropriation in the Office of the Head of Service of the Federation.
2. Nigerian govt reacts as British court authorises seizure of $9bn Nigerian assets
The Nigerian government has said it will appeal against Friday’s judgment by a British court which gave Process and Industrial Development Limited (P&ID) permission to seize Nigerian assets worth $9 billion. In a statement released on Friday evening, Dayo Apata, the solicitor general of the federation and permanent secretary, Federal Ministry of Justice, said FG has instructed its lawyers to seek a stay of execution.
3. Nigerian govt offers reasons for bundling El-Zakzaky back from India
The Nigerian Government on Friday alleged, among others, that the leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, (IMN), Ibraheem El-Zakzaky, was bundled back to the country because he was plotting to seek asylum while in India. The government’s position was conveyed via a statement issued in Abuja and credited to the Permanent Secretary in the Federal Ministry of Information and Culture, Grace Isu Gekpe.
4. We’re convinced that Buhari’s govt wants to kill El-Zakzaky —IMN
The Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) on Friday alleged that Nigerian government was planning to kill its leader, Ibraheem El-Zakzaky in India. In a statement on Friday, the group alleged that El-Zakzaky was brought back from India for refusing to succumb to be treatment by doctors chosen by the federal government.
5. ZONING: Ohanaeze youths tackle El-Rufai, say he’s blinded by ambition
The Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youth Council, on Friday faulted a call by Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State for the abolishment of zoning ahead of the 2023 general elections. El-Rufai had recently made a case for the abandonment of zoning arrangements for political offices as currently done in the country in a contribution he made to a book.
6. Court grants ICPC request to freeze ex-gov Yari’s account
Justice Taiwo Taiwo of a Federal High Court in Abuja, on Friday granted a request by the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC) to freeze bank accounts allegedly owned by the immediate past governor of Zamfara State, Abdul’aziz Abubakar Yari. In an ex-parte motion, the ICPC had requested that the accounts in Polaris and Zenith banks with funds in United States Dollars and Nigerian Naira, be frozen pending when the affected person shows cause why the freezing order should be vacated.
7. Fulani group partner with Ooni of Ife, Alaafin of Oyo to stop killer herdsmen
Gan Allah Fulani Development Association on Friday pledge their readiness to work with Ooni of Ife, Oba Eniitan Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi and security agencies to expose “criminal elements” among them. The group which claimed that they are descendants of Oduduwa, lamented stigmatization suffered due to the activities of criminal instincts of the bad eggs among them.
8. Don’t imprison me, I have ‘psychiatric health challenges’, soldier who allegedly raped student begs court
A Chief Magistrate Court in Akure, the Ondo State capital has remanded Lance Corporal Sunday Awolola in prison custody for allegedly raping a 300-level female student of the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba, Akoko. The Chief Magistrate, Mayowa Olanipekun, gave the remand order despite pleas by the defence counsel, Kayode Ikotun that his client was mentally imbalanced in an effort to secure his bail.
9. Police parades 30 suspects, including killers of Enugu priest
Enugu State Police command, has arrested suspected murderers of the parish priest of St James Catholic Church, Ugboka, Rev. Fr. Paul Offu. Enugu Commissioner of Police (CP), Suleiman Balarabe, announced this on Friday during a press briefing at the command’s headquarters in the state.
10. Samson Siasia banned for life by FIFA, fined $50,000
Former Nigeria international and Super Eagles Coach, Samson Siasia has been banned from all football related activities by FIFA for being guilty of accepting to receive bribe and manipulate matches. Siasia was also fined $50,000 by the world football governing body.
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- I will handover quietly to my successor in 2023 —Buhari - January 17, 2020
- IMO: PDP to protest Supreme Court’s ‘miscarriage of justice’ – Secondus - January 17, 2020
- Nigeria’s debt stock now N26. 2tr – DMO - January 17, 2020