Latest Metro

2.2m unregistered lines disconnected– NCC

Communications Minister Pantami warns NCC over SIM card registration

The Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC) has revealed that the Federal Government has ordered it to disconnect 2,277,311 improperly registered mobile telephone lines across the country.

According to figures by the NCC, the deactivated lines were among the 9.2 million lines which the authorities had earlier marked for deactivation, but a total number of 6,830,249 of the lines were revalidated by September 25, the deadline for regularisation of lines.

Commenting on the development, the Deputy Director/Head Information/Press and PR Unit of the NCC, Mrs Philomena Oshodin, said in a statement in Abuja on Saturday that the de-activation of the lines followed a directive issued to the commission by the Minister of Communications, Dr. Isa Pantami.

READ ALSO: Five things every government needs to do right now to tackle the climate emergency

She said that “Pantami has reiterated the need for all improperly registered SIM cards to remain blocked until they are properly registered.”

Mrs Oshodin added that “the profiles of persons linked to crime, aided and abetted by the use of SIM cards, should be promptly provided to the relevant security agencies when requested and a copy is sent to him for monitoring.”

Join the conversation

Opinions

About the author

Ripples Nigeria

We are an online newspaper, very passionate about Nigerian politics, business and their leaders. We dig deeper, without borders and without fears.
www.ripplesnigeria.com

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!