Metro

BIAFRA: IPOB claims Igbo in 75 countries observed the sit-at-home, want to leave Nigeria

BIAFRA: IPOB claims Igbo in 75 countries observed the sir-at-home, want to leave Nigeria

The Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB) says that the sit-at-home order it issued was observed by Igbos in about 75 countries around the world.

The group therefore hailed Ndigbo in Nigeria and the other countries where it said the order to mark the 50th anniversary of the declaration of the defunct Republic of Biafra and honour heroes and heroines of the struggle, was complied with.

IPOB in a statement issued by its media and publicity secretary, Mr Emma Powerful, explained that the compliance with the sit-at-home directive points that Ndigbo all over the world were tired of the Nigerian federation and want to leave the country.

He said, “Our Supreme Leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu issued this order of sit-at-home when he was still in Kuje Prisons, Abuja and it has come to pass. All the people of Biafra both at home and abroad complied in totality without any compulsion, which has not happened in the history of the Biafran struggle. Biafra is here.

“We are also telling those saboteurs who were paid by the government of Nigeria to sabotage the restoration project that this is the beginning of what will happen to them and their paymasters. When we finally leave Nigeria, they will be left behind. Biafrans and IPOB members worldwide have obeyed Mazi Kanu. We, IPOB, must be strong and we promise everybody that Biafra is here. “However, Biafrans have proven to the entire world that they need freedom and the world must know that we are not going back in the quest for independence of Biafra.

“The sit-at-home-order was a success and all the markets, schools, banks, companies/industries, transport companies, businesses in Biafraland closed in total compliance and we are saying that God Almighty (Chukwu Okike Abiama) bless all of you.”

Countries in which IPOB claimed its order were observed were Taiwan, Chad, Switzerland, United Kingdom, USA, Russia, Ukraine, Angola, Congo DRC, Mozambique, Luxembourg, Brazil, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, St. Kitts, Canada, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Spain, Sweden and France, Germany, Austria, Finland, South Africa, Togo, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Benin Republic, Gabon, Cape Verde.

Others included Madagascar, Mexico, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Namibia, Equatorial Guinea, UAE, Kuwait and Qatar, “Those in Scotland, Holland, Belgium, Uzbekistan, Turkey, Greece, Pakistan, India, Canada Trinidad and Tobago, Isreal, Argentina, Bokinafaso, Tanzania, Sao tome and Principe, Australia, Japan, North and South Korea, Niger Republic, Tunisia- Algeria.

Also the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB), in a separate statement by its leader, Uche Madu, said the sit-at-home protests was a ‘huge success’.

Read also: BIAFRA SIT-AT-HOME: Ohanaeze warns Osinbajo, police

He said, “The huge success achieved in today’s sit-at-home exercise is marvellous and glorious because the Almighty God approved our programme for the commemoration of the golden jubilee of the declaration of Biafra by ‘General’ Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu.

“The huge success is evident that the coming Biafra referendum shall be a walkover against the Nigerian state.”

Meanwhile reports from the five eastern states of Enugu, Imo, Abia, Anambra and Ebonyi said there was a high percentage of compliance while there were also partial compliance South-South states of Delta, Rivers and Bayelsa.

There was no news of casualties yet from the protest, unlike in previous protests by the groups.

A similar event last year recorded several members of IPOB and MASSOB allegedly shot and killed by Nigeria security operatives who reportedly fired live ammunition at them at a church in Nkpo in Anambra State on the eve of May 30. Also some other in Asia were said to have been shot where the group was gathering on May 30 to proceed for a protest March.

Reports also said about 11 members of the group were killed early this year while on a solidarity march for Donald Trump in his emergence as American President. An Amnesty International documentary claimed that over 150 pro-Biafran agitators have been killed by Nigerian security operatives in the recent past.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

RipplesNigeria ….without borders, without fears

Click here to download the Ripples Nigeria App for latest updates

Join the conversation

Opinions

About the author

Ebere Ndukwu

Ebere is a lover of investigative journalism, always seeking to unearth the hidden.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!