The Presidency has reacted to claims that President Muhammadu Buhari is plotting to amend the constitution to enable him run for a third term in office.
Part of the plot were alleged actions by Buhari support groups, who were said to have staged street demonstrations asking him to do a third term.
But in a statement on Tuesday night by Garba Shehu, the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, the Presidency debunked the claim, describing Buhari as a democrat who would always respect the constitution.
He went further to refer to a past administration that made moves to amend the constitution, in a bid to have that president do a third term in office, which he said was wrong, and unconstitutional.
Although, Shehu’s statement did not specifically mention former President Olusegun Obasanjo, it was widely reported at that time, and ever since then, that Obasanjo made attempts amending the constitution in efforts to have a third term in office as president.
The statement by Shehu read, “The Presidency wishes to correct internet-based gossip and un-informed media commentary regarding presidential term limits, given credence by so-called support groups, staging street demonstrations asking President Muhammadu Buhari to do a third term.
“There are no circumstances – nor a set of circumstances – under which President Buhari may seek to amend the Constitution regarding the two-term term limit on holding office as President.
“President Buhari intends to serve his full second elected term in office, ending 2023 – and then there shall be a general election in which he will not be a candidate. There is not even the faintest possibility that this will change.
“It is important to note that there was a past attempt to change the constitution to allow for the then incumbent president to stand for a third term. That attempt was wrong, unconstitutional – and rightly rebuffed. No such a