Connect with us

Metro

We’re working hard every day to free remaining Chibok girls- Osinbajo

Published

on

Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo Wednesday restated the commitment of the Federal Government towards securing the release of the remaining abducted Chibok girls.

According to a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande, the Vice President made these comments when he received a delegation of girl child rights advocates from various schools in Abuja at the Presidential Villa to mark the International Day of the Girl Child.

Osinbajo said that by securing the release of the remaining girls, the government would be sending a powerful message to the rest of the world that the criminal act of abduction would not be condoned in the Nigeria.

He said, “We want to be able to challenge men and women all over the world about this sort of behaviour, and this is one of the reasons why we are advocating that this kind of conduct must be met with the greatest possible objection and force.

“It is very important for us that those girls are returned; anyone who has a friend or child or anyone among the girls recognises that girls are more vulnerable than men, especially when they have been abducted by men stronger and older than themselves, and held in captivity for so long.

Read also: PLATEAU: In latest attack, former Head of Service, 2 others killed by gunmen

“We shouldn’t accept it. We should condemn it for the cowardly and wrongful act that it is, and do our best to give succour to the ladies who have suffered this particular injustice”.

The vice president said the Federal Government was working hard to ensure that all the remaining abducted Chibok girls were released and returned home safely to their parents.

“We’ve had the unfortunate experience of having over 200 Chibok girls that were abducted. Again, as you know, some of them have been rescued; they have returned and are back home.

“But there are still some who are still out there, who we are still hoping and working every day to bring back home”, he stated.

On the Chibok girls released so far, Osinbajo said they were all doing well and enjoying their new opportunities they now have.

“We are happy to report that they are all doing very well, they are very excited about the new opportunities that they have and they are starting their lives afresh with a great deal of enthusiasm”, he said.

 

RipplesNigeria… without borders, without fears

Click here to join the Ripples Nigeria WhatsApp group for latest updates.

Join the conversation

Opinions

Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism

Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.

As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.

If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.

Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.

Donate Now

Advertisement
Click to comment

0 Comments

  1. Balarabe musa

    October 12, 2017 at 9:21 am

    Insha Allah, we shall find the remaining girls very soon, Allah will make it possible and the vile Boko Haram will release them unscathed

    • Anita Kingsley

      October 12, 2017 at 10:23 am

      I like your faith, but you need to face reality, the girls will never return, we all need to accept that

      • JOHNSON PETER

        October 12, 2017 at 12:18 pm

        Hahaha, Anita, aren’t you a lady? If you don’t know what it takes to give birth ,then keep shut

        • seyi jelili

          October 12, 2017 at 9:02 pm

          Don’t mind her, may be she won’t have issues in life

    • seyi jelili

      October 12, 2017 at 9:02 pm

      Amen, without pregnancy

  2. Abeni Adebisi

    October 12, 2017 at 10:08 am

    How’s long will it take the federal government to secure the return of the remaining girls? A decade? Two decades or more? Time is far spent!

  3. Animashaun Ayodeji

    October 12, 2017 at 10:10 am

    I still believe this administration is competent enough to secure the girls safe and sound. May God continue to help them.

    • Anita Kingsley

      October 12, 2017 at 10:22 am

      How are we now sure the remaining girls are still safe and sound? I’m not sure they will ever return, all I’m expecting is the federal government to declare all of them dead.

    • seyi jelili

      October 12, 2017 at 9:01 pm

      Amen, patriotic Nigerian you are

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

nineteen − 5 =