Most ladies love experimenting with and wearing makeup and some of them would never dream of going without it, but how much do you really know about the makeup that you put on your skin.
After all, you use it daily with barely a second thought, but we’d be willing to bet that you never really think much about what’s in it or how it’s made.
That is what this article is meant to serve as it serves you five facts about makeup that you have probably never thought about, but that you really do need to know.
1. The word “Organic” means very little: Although you will find makeup that is labeled organic, there are actually no clearly defined rules about what organic makeup should be.
2. The makeup industry is one of ten largest industries in the world: The big makeup brands are worldwide businesses and they make millions of dollars a year from the lipsticks, foundations and mascaras that you buy. The makeup industry as a whole is worth something like $200 billion a year, which makes it one of the largest industries in the world.
3. Most of the ingredients in makeup have never been tested on humans: Unlike the pharmaceutical industry, the makeup industry is largely unregulated and there are no rules about testing cosmetics. It is estimated that 80 percent of the ingredients used in makeup products have never been subjected to proper clinical trials.
4. Fragrance can mean anything that smells: The word fragrance sounds kind of natural, but fragrance can mean anything at all. While you may think that fragrance means something natural, like extract of rose petals, it could also be something that someone has concocted in a lab with chemicals.
5. Cruelty-free has no definition: Cruelty-free is another term that is often used on makeup products that has no real meaning. What one person might think is cruel and unnecessary, another person might think is perfectly reasonable, so buying a cruelty-free product guarantees nothing at all. There isn’t even a firm definition for what “not tested on animals” means.
RipplesNigeria ….without borders, without fears
- QuickRead: Buhari sits as judge. Four other stories we tracked and why they matter - January 17, 2021
- US States beef up security against possible violence ahead of Biden’s inauguration - January 17, 2021
- Death toll from Indonesia earthquake hits 56, as rescue operatives search for more bodies - January 17, 2021