The Federal Government has been provided with a golden opportunity to end the renewed militancy in the Niger Delta, as Traditional rulers and other stakeholders from the oil rich region have presented it with a shopping list of six items that would restore peace to the region.
The traditional rulers and stakeholders reeled out their demands after a meeting with the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, in Abuja on Thursday, insisting that the ball is now in the court of the Federal Government, especially with the cessation of hostilities by the Niger Delta Avengers, NDA.
Below are the six conditions as presented by the Bolowei of Gbaramatu Kingdom, Chief Wellington Okirika, at the headquarters of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC.
1. That the Federal Government immediately constitute or appoint it’s own dialogue team.
2. That all those who were arrested on trumped up charges by the Nigerian Army, including the 10 school children arrested on 28th May be released immediately.
3. That the symbol of authority of the Gbaramatu traditional institution, the Golden Sword, be returned.
4. That the Nigerian Army return the three traditional council speed boats in its custody.
5. That the Nigerian Army should forthwith stop all forms of hostilities being perpetrated by it in the Niger Delta and finally,
6. That the Federal Government must immediately make a categorical statement on the resumption of academic activities at the now controversial Maritime University, Okerenkoko, Delta State for the 2016/2017 academic session
By Timothy Enietan-Matthews
RipplesNigeria …without borders, without fears
We are an online newspaper, very passionate about Nigerian politics, business and their leaders. We dig deeper, without borders and without fears.
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
Join the conversation