Two blasts have rocked Borno’s capital of Maiduguri barely 24 hours after Boko Haram insurgents unleashed attack on the convoy of Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum.
According to residents, the first blast was said to have occured at about 6pm around the Gunge area of Maiduguri while the second one took place at a car depot in the capital.
It is still unclear if Boko Haram insurgents are behind the attack and if any life was lost as no official statement has been released by the government.
Confirming the incident, the Borno state Commissioner of Police, Mohammed Aliyu, stated that one person died and at least 16 others were injured following the blasts.
He said: “We have dispatched our Explosive Ordnance Detection (EOD) to investigate the incidents and to determine whether it was an Improvised Explosive Device (IED).
“Right now, I am at the Specialist Hospital where we have 16 casualties and one dead so far.”
According the CP, the actual cause of the explosion was yet to be known but various security personnel had been dispatched to the area to restore calm.
- Buhari approves N6.45bn for oxygen plants to tackle COVID-19 - January 21, 2021
- Buhari inaugurates national oil and gas excellence centre - January 21, 2021
- Anambra govt closes down private school for flouting Covid-19 protocols - January 21, 2021