The Convention Hall of the Eko Hotel and Suites came alive yesterday night for the 2016 edition of the All Africa Music Awards – AFRIMA.
The star studded night of appearances, performances and awards anchored by the trio of Ahmed Soultan (Morocco); Ms Bonang Matheba (South Africa) and Ika Jang (Congo), was preceded by the AFRIMA Music Village on Friday November, 4, featuring a non-stop music concert with over 40 African artistes performing live at the Waterfront, Bar Beach, Victoria Island, Lagos Nigeria.
At the awards proper, Nigerian artist Flavour shined like a million stars after he won in two categories as Best Artiste/Duo/Group/Band In African Contemporary and the Best Male Artiste, Western Africa while Wizkid capped a rewarding year emerging winner of the Artiste of the Year category after he also won two awards at the MTV Africa Music Awards (MAMA) and the MTV EMA Europe awards.
Other winners from Nigeria included; Olamide, Phyno, Patoranking, Niniola, Aramide and others.
See the full list of Winners below:
1. Best Male East Africa – Diamond Platnumz (Tanzania)
2. Best Female East Africa – Cindy Sanyu (Uganda)
3. Best Male South Africa – Black Coffee (South Africa)
4. Best female South Africa – Sally Boss Madam (Namibia)
5. Best Male Central Africa- Wax Dey (Cameroon)
6. Best Female Central Africa- Bruna Tatiana (Angola)
7. Best Male North Africa – DJ Van (Morocco)
8. Best Female North Africa- Zina Daoudia (Morocco)
9. Best Male West Africa – Flavour (Nigeria)
10. Best Female West Africa – Aramide (Nigeria)
11. Best Inspirational Female – Naomi Achu (Cameroon)
12. Best Artiste/Dou/GroupBand in African Contemporary- Flavour (Nigeria)
13. Most Promising Artiste- Amine Aub (Morocco)
14. African Fans Favorite – Phyno (Nigeria)
15. Song writer of the year – Unique (Uganda)
16. Special Recognition Award- King Sunny Ade (Nigeria)
17. Best Artist/Duo/Group African Hiphop- Stanley Enow (Cameroon)
18. Best Artist/Duo/Group African Ragga & Dancehall- Patoranking (Nigeria)
19. Best Artist/Duo/Group African Traditional music- Zeynab (Benin)
20. Best Artist/Duo/Group African Electro -Such (Zimbabwe)
21. Best Artist/Duo/Group African RnB – Henok & Mehari Brothers (Ethiopia)
22. Best Artist/Duo/Group in African Rock -M’vula (Angola)
23. Best African Jazz – Jimmy Dludlu (South Africa)
24. Best African Group -VVIP (Ghana)
25. Best African Collaboration – Mbilo Mbilo by Eddy Kenzo (Uganda) ft Niniola (Nigeria)
26. Video of the Year – Dogo Yaro by VVIP (Ghana)
27. Revelation of the year – Falz (Nigeria)
28. Album of the year – Ahmed Soultan (Morocco)
29. Song of the year- Utanipenda Diamond Platnumz (Tanzania)
30. Artist of the Year -Wizkid (Nigeria)
By Ahmed Boulor…
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
Balanced, fearless journalism driven by data comes at huge financial costs.
As a media platform, we hold leadership accountable and will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.
If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
FEATURE…The plight of Kwara communities without potable water, govt presence
With a piteous voice and teary eyes, Isiaku Ajarat reflected on some of the challenges she had faced while trekking...
FEATURES: Rise in Monkeypox infection troubling Nigeria’s rural population
In this features, KELECHUKWU IRUOMA goes into the rural communities of Bayelsa State, south-south Nigeria to uncover the plight of...
SPECIAL REPORT: Kwara communities groan as erosion washes away roads, property
For a number of years communities in Ilorin South LGA of Kwara State have had to live with the menace...
SPECIAL REPORT: Lack of legal provisions, cultural sentiments fueling marital r*pe in Nigeria
By Arinze Chijioke In the early days of Sandra Izuckukwu’s marriage in 2019, her husband, Sunday Izuchukwu, did everything she...
INVESTIGATION… LIVES ON THE LINE (IV): Surviving in a dangerous media environment
This investigation is on the unresolved killing of three Nigerian journalists while on assignments between 2019 and 2020. For six...