Authorities in Hong Kong have banned no fewer than 12 opposition figures including prominent activist Joshua Wong from running in the upcoming legislative elections.
The government of Hong Kong in a statement on Thursday said that electoral authorities had disqualified the 12 nominees for failing to demonstrate their intent to support and promote the territory’s mini-constitution, or Basic Law.
The statement added that advocating for independence, soliciting intervention by foreign governments, or “expressing an objection in principle” to a national security law that China imposed on Hong Kong earlier this month are behaviours that “could not genuinely” uphold the Basic Law.
The government also supported and agreed with the decision and warned more nominees could face a similar fate in the near term, in a move which has been decried as the latest assault on China’s critics in the semi-autonomous city.
Wong who confirmed his disqualification in a post on Twitter, said he was barred for describing the new national security law as “draconian”.
- Lagos court set on fire, items stolen - October 21, 2020
- Wike imposes 24-hour curfew in three LGAs in Rivers - October 21, 2020
- EU demands prosecution of #EndSARS killers - October 21, 2020