A bill for the establishment of a commission for the control of hate speech passed the first reading during plenary at Nigerian Senate on Tuesday.
The bill is expected to be another controversial one coming on the heels of the the social media bill that has passed second reading at the Senate.
Ripples Nigeria gives you a snippet of the content of the bill.
1. The Bill for the Establishment of a National Commission for the Prevention of Hate Speech, has three punishment for offenders or those convicted under its provisions. They are 10 years jail term, payment of N10m fine or death by hanging
2. The bill also defines who an offender is. According to the bill, an offender is, “a person who uses, publishes, presents, produces, plays, provides, distributes and/or directs the performance of any material, written and or visual.
“Such material must be capable of causing threat, abusive or insulting or involves the use of threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour.”
3. The bill also states that such individuals had committed an offence if they intended to stir up ethnic hatred, or having regard to all the circumstances, ethnic hatred is likely to be stirred up against any person or persons from such an ethnic group in Nigeria.
“Any person who commits an offence under this section shall be liable to life imprisonment and where the act causes any loss of life, the person shall be punished with death by hanging,” it added.
4. ETHNIC HATRED
Offenders liable to a 10-year jail term or that risk N10m fine are those who stir ethnic hatred by their speeches.
The bill states: “In this section (3), ethnic hatred means hatred against a group of persons from any ethical group indigenous to Nigeria.
“A person subjects another to harassment on the basis of ethnicity for the purposes of this section where on ethnic grounds, he justifiably engages in a conduct which has the purpose or effect of violating that other person’s dignity or creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating, or offensive environment for the person subjected to the harassment.
“Conduct shall be regarded as having the effect specified in subsection (1) (a) or (b) of this section if, having regard to all circumstances, including in particular the perception of that person.
“A person who subjects another to harassment on the basis of ethnicity commits an offence and shall be liable on conviction to an imprisonment for a term not less than 10 years, or to a fine of not less than N10m, or to both.
“Any person who knowingly utters words to incite feelings of contempt, hatred, hostility, violence or discrimination against any person, group or community on the basis of ethnicity or race, commits an offence and shall be liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term not less than five years, or to a fine of not less than N10m or to both.
“A person victimises another if in any circumstance relevant for the purpose of this Act, the person does any act that is injurious to the wellbeing and esteem of another person by treating the person to less favourably than, in those circumstances.”
5. Corporate bodies not exempted!
The bill added that where the offenders are a corporate organisation, every director, trustee and officer of that body corporate shall also be deemed to be guilty of the offence.
“Where the body of persons is a firm, every partner of that firm shall also be deemed to be guilty ofthat offence.”
The bill noted that the proposed hate speech commission to be known as the Independent National Commission for The Prohibition of Hate Speech, shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal.
The Commission in its corporate name, shall among others, be capable of suing and being sued; Purchase or othelwise acquiring, holding, charging or disposing of movable and immovable property.
“The headquarters of the Commission shall be in Abuja, but the Commission may establish branch offices in each of the states of the federation,” the bill stated.
The commission is expected among others, facilitate and promote a harmonious peaceful co-existence within the people of all ethnic groups indigenous to Nigeria.
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- NIGER ATTACKS: Buhari orders NAF to deploy fighter aircraft against bandits - January 26, 2020
- Basketball star, Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash - January 26, 2020
- Danjuma’s opinion on government, others less important – Buhari - January 26, 2020