At the end of the first quarter in 2021, the capital market recorded more domestic participation than foreign, as investors from both side of the divide withdrew N339.06 billion during the period under review.
The Nigerian bourse had recorded an increase in transactions which moved from N215.58 billion in February 2021 to N228.49 billion in March. This represents an increase of 5.99 percent, but when compared to the N242.91 billion of March 2020, it was down by 5.94 percent.
How domestic, foreign investors pull out funds
In the first three months, local investors had pulled out N248.94 billion from the market, while their foreign counterparts took N90.12 billion out of their Nigerian bourse after cashing in on their investment.
Domestic investors had took out N86.35bn in January; N69.28 billion in February, and N93.31bn in March. This is more than the N30.79 billion in January; N39.05 billion in February, and N20.28 billion in March which foreign investors withdrew.
Accounting for about 74 percent of the total transactions carried out in 2020, domestic investors dominated the capital market in 2020, leaving 26 percent to foreign portfolio investors.
The Nigerian Exchange Limited, in a statement, said, “Retail investors outperformed institutional investors by 16 per cent. A comparison of domestic transactions in the current and prior month (February 2021) revealed that retail transactions increased by 101.77 per cent from N53.80bn in February 2021 to N108.55bn in March 2021.
“However, the institutional composition of the domestic market decreased by 20.47 per cent from N99.71bn in February 2021 to N79.30bn in March 2021.”
Join the conversation
Support Ripples Nigeria, hold up solutions journalism
We are a media platform, committed to data and investigative journalism that holds leadership accountable.
We will not trade the right to press freedom and free speech for a piece of cake.
If you like what we do, and are ready to uphold solutions journalism, kindly donate to the Ripples Nigeria cause.
Your support would help to ensure that citizens and institutions continue to have free access to credible and reliable information for societal development.
INVESTIGATION: Inside UNILAG’s multi-million naira budgetary abuse and academic discord
The University of Lagos located in Nigeria’s commercial capital, Lagos, has been embroiled in controversies with allegations bothering on misappropriation of...
SPECIAL REPORT: Displaced residents of Zamfara battle hunger, as underfunding derails Nigeria’s nutrition goals
On paper, Muhammad Zayyanu is seven years old. The quiet boy who looks shorter for his age could not recollect...
INVESTIGATION: N7.3bn paid for unnamed projects; how Nigerian govt spent N2.2trn in six months
Analysing nearly 3,000 payments made by various Federal Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) over the previous six months (January...
INVESTIGATION… Delay rocks Nigerian govt’s promise of N30,000 covid-19 relief for artisans, others
Before the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic in February, 2020, Chukwudi Okoroigwe’s daily earnings as a bus driver was hardly enough to cater to the...
INVESTIGATION… Ten years after, communities count losses as AfDB, Cross River govt abandon road project
Ten years after the Cross River State government and African Development Bank (AFDB) jointly awarded the Yahe-Wanokom-Wanikade-Benue border road for...