As the trial of the Chief Justice of the Federation (CJN) resumed in court on Tuesday, the Federal Government said it wants the embattled judge to resign his position.
The position of the Federal Government was declared by its prosecutor, Aliu Umar in his opening address at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT).
Umar, who claimed that Onnoghen had been written in respect to the demand, wondered if he had received the letter or not.
Meanwhile, for the second time, the CJN was clearly absent, when the tribunal opened at 10:21 a.m.
When the matter opened on January 14, Onnoghen had also shunned appearing, but his lawyers were around.
The CJN is being prosecuted by the federal government over claims that he failed to declare his bank accounts despite being a Supreme Court judge since 2005, an offence said to contract with the Code of Conduct Act.
Wole Olanipekun (SAN), who led a team of more than 50 defence counsels for the CJN explained that the judge was not at the tribunal again because of the cases that were instituted against the tribunal’s proceeding.
He was apparently referring to an order of a Federal High Court last week that the CJN’s trial be suspended.
However, the Federal Government and its supporters are arguing that the ruling was out of order on the reason that the CCT has parallel powers as Federal High Courts.
According to them, it is the Court of Appeal that could give an order and it would be binding on the tribunal.
Meanwhile, the Court of Appeal has fixed January 24 for hearing on the matter.