Latest Nigeria In One Minute Politics Top Stories

10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers, Tuesday morning, March 24, 2020

Top 10 stories from Nigerian newspapers

These 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers will interest you this Tuesday morning.

1. Nigeria’s COVID-19 cases hit 40 as NCDC confirms 4 fresh infections

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) Monday night announced four new cases of COVID-19 in the country. The fresh discoveries bring to 40 the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the country. However, two persons out of this figure had been discharged by health authorities. Read more

2. COVID-19: FEC meeting suspended indefinitely

The Federal Government on Monday suspended the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting indefinitely following the spread of the coronavirus pandemic in the country. The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, who announced this, said all land borders in the country had been closed for four weeks. Read more

3. COVID-19: Nigerian govt orders its workers to stay at home

The Federal Government on Monday directed workers in the public sector to work from home following the spread of coronavirus in the country. A circular issued by the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF), titled: “Compulsory Stay at Home of Non-Essential Public Servants on GL 12 And Below As A Further Measure to Curtail The Spread of COVID-19,” and signed by the Head of Service of the Federation, Dr. Folasade Yemi-Esan, said the directive took effect from Tuesday. Read more

4. Nigerian govt orders total closure of land borders over COVID-19

The Federal Government on Monday ordered the total closure of all land borders that were hitherto partially closed. The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Mr. Boss Mustapha, who announced this at a press briefing in Abuja, said the borders would be closed for four weeks, starting from Monday. Read more

5. COVID-19: Atiku reacts to reports of infected son’s alleged partying

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar Monday urged Nigerians to pray for his son, Mohammed, who is down with coronavirus. The ex-Vice President disclosed late on Sunday night that his son had tested positive for COVID-19. Read more

Read also: 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers, Monday morning, March 23, 2020

6. Governors suspend meeting indefinitely over COVID-19

Governors of the 36 states of the federation under the aegis of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) have suspended indefinitely their meeting slated for Wednesday because of the Coronavirus pandemic ravaging the world and its economy. The meeting would have enabled the governors to further discuss economic issues as they affect the country. Read more

7. Nigerian govt reveals COVID-19 index case had 179 contacts

The Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, said on Monday, 179 persons had contact with the coronavirus index case. The minister, who disclosed this at a press briefing in Abuja, said although the country’s new COVID-19 cases were that of Nigerians who were returning from countries with a high burden of the virus, Nigeria could head the way of China and Italy if those who had contracted the virus already were not fished out and treated. Read more

8. CJN orders courts’ shutdown over COVID-19

The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Tanko Muhammad, on Monday, ordered all courts in the country to shut down from Tuesday. In a statement issued on the official website of the National Judicial Council (NJC), the CJN said the measure became necessary following the outbreak of COVID-19 in the country. Read more

9. Like PDP, APC shuts down national secretariat over COVID-19

The All Progressives Congress (APC) said Monday it would shut down its national secretariat for two weeks over the outbreak of coronavirus in the country. The country’s confirmed cases of COVID-19 increased to 36 on Monday after the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced the discovery of six fresh cases in Abuja, Lagos and Edo States. Read more

10. Eko Hotel dismisses reports on partial shutdown of operations

The Eko Hotels & Suites on Monday dismissed reports that it had partially shut down its operations over the outbreak of coronavirus in the country. It expressed regrets that its earlier statement had been highly misinterpreted and misunderstood by members of the public. Read more

Ripples Nigeria

We are an online newspaper, very passionate about Nigerian politics, business and their leaders. We dig deeper, without borders and without fears.
www.ripplesnigeria.com

Join the conversation

Opinions

About the author

Ripples Nigeria

We are an online newspaper, very passionate about Nigerian politics, business and their leaders. We dig deeper, without borders and without fears.
www.ripplesnigeria.com

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!