29-year-old California-born Andy Ruiz, who has previously fought for a world title is expected to be confirmed as Anthony Joshua’s opponent for his first fight in US on the 1st of June.
The BBC reports that Ruiz who defeated Germany’s Alexander Dimitrenko in his last fight on April 20 will be announced as replacement for Jarrell Miller in the fight set for New York.
According to AJ’s promoter Eddie Hearn, Ruiz will “do anything” to become world champion.
“He will entertain you, give it his all. Even if it means getting sensationally knocked out, he will rather do that than not do it,” Hearn told Fighthype.com.
“I couldn’t afford a guy who I thought may not be good enough or game enough to entertain the fans. I had to pick a guy in my heart who I thought will do everything to become world heavyweight champion at the Garden.”
Meanwhile, Ruiz has already agreed to terms, leaving only a few details to be documented, with Hearn revealing the fight was “close”.
Ruiz at 6ft 2in, is four inches shorter than Joshua, meaning he will suffer reach disadvantage during the well publicised fight.
Latest posts by Ripples Nigeria (see all)
- Buhari’s friend Archbishop of Canterbury says murder CAN leader an attack on Christians - January 24, 2020
- 10 top stories from Nigerian newspapers Friday morning, January 24, 2020 - January 24, 2020
- Group faults Ngige’s suggestion on how South East can produce next president - January 24, 2020